All applications must be received and complete (including transcripts, letters of recommendation, and application fee) by May 5. Potential applicants who miss the May 5 deadline should contact us to see if there is space on a waitlist before applying.
- Fill out the online application (take a look at our application PDF ahead of time), including a personal statement.
- Send copies of all transcripts to APTLII. Scanned or unofficial copies by email are accepted.
- Arrange for 2 referees (including one language instructor) to send letters of recommendation directly to APTLII. Please have your language reference fill out this form in addition to a written statement.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee (application fee is waived until 5 pm Central Time February 18, after that it is $25). Please follow this link (http://services.iris.wisc.edu/aptlii/) and select “APTLII application fee ($25)” under the “Fee to be Paid” dropdown menu.
- (Optional) Apply for financial aid and scholarships/fellowships at your home institution for use at APTLII.
- Within 3 weeks of receiving your admission letter, make a non-refundable $250 room & board deposit to APTLII confirming that you will attend.
In order to receive UW-Madison academic credit, you must become a UW-Madison Special student. The instructions below will guide you through the application and enrollment process as a UW-Madison Special/Nondegree student. Please allow 30 minutes to answer the application questions to the best of your ability.
- Apply to become a UW-Madison student by completing the Special Student web application for the Summer 2019 term. Select Nondegree/Special as your reason for applying and Pre-Selected Populations (UNPS) as your “Applying as” option, listing “APTLII” for your academic plans. As for Residency for Tuition Determination, please be guided by the following:
- Wisconsin Statutes, Section 36.27(2), govern resident status for tuition purposes. If you do not qualify as a Wisconsin resident, in most cases your tuition will be assessed at the higher out-of-state rate. Although these questions are quite detailed, please answer them to the best of your ability to avoid processing delays.
- Note that students who previously attended in UW-Madison but have not been enrolled for one or more semesters are considered reentry students. If you recall your MyUW NetID and password, you may submit the shorter Reentry Special Student Application & Residence for Tuition Purposes Application in your Student Center.
- When you are admitted and receive your UW-Madison Student ID number, forward it to the APTLII office for authorization to enroll in summer classes. (If you are a current UW-Madison student send your ID number to the APTLII office and skip the next step.)
- Using your student ID number, activate your NetID and password. This will give you access to the University’s online systems for enrollment, tuition & financial account, email, etc. Your UW-Madison email address is the official means of communication for University business – make sure you check it regularly or forward to another address.
- Follow the instructions you receive from APTLII to enroll in your language class online at MyUW. Verify your enrollment by viewing your class schedule. Enroll before arriving in Madison to make sure you avoid the late enrollment fee.
- After you have enrolled for classes, the Bursar’s Office will send you an email about your electronic tuition bill for $5,000. Your student financial account, along with payment instructions, can be accessed through MyUW in the Student Center. Pay attention to the tuition deadline to avoid a $100 late fee. If someone will be sponsoring you to attend APTLII (i.e., an external fellowship), contact us as soon as possible for information on setting up a third-party payment.
- Separately, pay the remainder of your room & board fee via credit card on the APTLII website, or pay by check at the APTLII office.
Application questions, contact Adult, Career and Special Student Services at 608-263-6960 or email@example.com.
NetID questions, contact the DoIT Help Desk at 608-264-4357.
APTLII-related questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-262-5666.